Clinical Supervision & Case Consultation
I provide clinical supervision and case consultation to individuals and groups as part of their ongoing professional development, accrual of hours towards licensure, and graduate school program curriculum.
I have supervised and consulted to Master’s level and para-professional staff at Pájaro Valley Prevention & Student Assistance, Inc., Monarch Services (formerly Defensa de Mujeres/Women’s Crisis Support), Hospice Caring Project, Jacob’s Heart Children’s Cancer Support, Palo Alto Medical Foundation’s Palliative Care Program, Aspiranet, the Child and Family Development Programs at Encompass Community Services, Del Mar Caregiver Resource Center, Pájaro Valley Unified School District, and Halcyon House.
I have supervised graduate students from Smith College School for Social Work, Santa Clara University, San Jose State University, California State University Monterey Bay, J.F.K. University, California Institute of Integral Studies, and Sofia University (formerly Institute of Transpersonal Psychology).
I emphasize the following things in my Supervisory/Consultation work:
- Understanding the client(s) within the context of his/her/their environment, history, and culture
- Developing a dynamic case formulation
- Conceptualizing the therapeutic process
- Integrating theory and practice
- Formulating attuned, coherent interventions
- Maintaining a clinical focus with the intrapsychic, interpersonal and “practical” aspects of the case
- Making use of countertransference and the clinical use of self
I also consult to therapists seeking assistance with difficult situations in order to better understand what is occurring clinically, reorient and develop more helpful approaches, address boundary problems, and assist with difficult/problematic emotional/counter-transference reactions.